SE Tour Review: Erebor: Black Ops (Surrey) (Closed)

Not really a team just a whatsapp group of mates. Was orginally just aiming for 5 of us but against all the odds quite a few could make it. I played at the test day but this is my first proper skirmish day there.

 
oh okay sweet, Should be a good day. site is so sick.

Always good when nobody drops out

 
I was there in a Hawaiian shirt. You might have seen me. Might be there on the 14th, too. 

 
This is for all those who played there on the test day and the 17th. 

On the 14th there is going to some real marshalling occurring and we would like feedback from those who played. What games worked what didn't and any games you would like to try?

Feedback from the players is important as players make a site and if the players don't enjoy then it never works.

Not interested in the layout and cover side of things as those will be looked at properly on the 14th and anybody playing that day will be asked for input then. 

 
This is for all those who played there on the test day and the 17th. 

On the 14th there is going to some real marshalling occurring and we would like feedback from those who played. What games worked what didn't and any games you would like to try?

Feedback from the players is important as players make a site and if the players don't enjoy then it never works.

Not interested in the layout and cover side of things as those will be looked at properly on the 14th and anybody playing that day will be asked for input then. 


Unfortunately, Trigger is no longer associated with Erebor or the Black Ops site. 

 
Myself and a few of the boys are going down this Saturday. Sign up as there are very few spaces left! Would be good to see what its like marshalled! Will then update the review. 

 
Looking to play here in the coming weeks - dates pending, look forward to your report @Asomodai

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cant make this wknd but will try to get there soon!! Also waiting for the review

 
I’ve only really lurked this forum, but since this is where the review thread is: I played today and have nothing but praise for everyone involved. The site is spectacular, Seth and his team were flawlessly professional, and the games ran like clockwork.

It’s one of the best CQB sites I’ve ever played. The buildings are complex and closely-set with interesting angles, the lighting can be varied between more than just seared retinas or pitch black, and (unlike Blitz, which is the closest analogue I’ve played) it’s big enough not to feel like you’re trapped in a dollhouse. The inessential but really nice creature comforts - parking (right outside), a good site shop, hot water for tea/coffee, tables and chairs in the safe zone, a safe zone that isn’t a two-hour hike from the play zone, decent toilets - are all present and in brand-new condition, rather than the crumbling shitholes most CQB sites seem to be.

The marshalling - despite the rather insulting fear-mongering in this thread - was as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. The team were so thorough and reassuring that, even in the did-I-hit-that-person-why-isn’t-he-calling-it confusion inherent to playing CQB in low light, everyone seemed to get along just fine. Incredibly, I didn’t even hear any bitching in the safe zone.

The number of players was well-judged (I think 20ish is optimal, 25 maximum before it starts getting crowded), and everyone seemed to be enthusiastically hurling themselves at the objectives rather than stacking up at choke points or chatting in the safe zone. Helping that were the game modes, which while not exactly revolutionary were more than just shooting everything that moved, and kept people in play almost all the time without making the games run until they’d outstayed their welcome.

The only recommendations I’d make would be;

1. To try to improve the connectivity between the upper floors of some of the buildings, so players can circumvent the choke points which sometimes formed on one road corner. There wasn’t much of that (people were aggressively pushing all day, and the marshals acted quickly to rebalance areas that were in danger of stagnating), but why waste the potential of the intricate buildings?

2. To keep the number of players in check. One of the biggest pitfalls at Blitz was how insanely crowded it felt; Erebor ran perfectly with the ~22 players today. I’d much rather pay a bit more to play a good site than a bit less to share with too many other players.

I was extremely impressed, wholeheartedly recommend the site, and won’t hesitate to go back.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
For any of the (many) AFUK ex-Mall players - I've realised that Josh and Haydn from The Mall are helping to run Erebor.

That alone is enough to peak my interest @Seth_Erebor, and you've done well to choose them. Top blokes, great marshals and wicked players. And if they have a small sprinkling of Mall Magic it'll be great!

I'll be looking to come down soon now  :)

It has to be said, the site looks incredible fun to play in:





 
So pissed off I couldn't make this one, stuck at a wedding :( sounds absolutely sick though, grats Seth and I'll be getting booked for the next one I can do asap

 
I was there too yesterday and can echo Puresilver's comments.  Really great site.  Ample parking, actual ceramic toilets, excellent safe zone etc.  Pretty opulent for an airsoft site heh.

I think the stairs that come down after you've taken the farthest right door in the brief/chrono area needs some type of cover just outside as you just get nailed as soon as you come out onto the street.  I don't know if that's possible as I only went down there once but maybe something to think about.  Maybe one of the big bins?

For the kill confirmed game mode, it would be pretty cool to have actual dog tags instead of playing cards.  I had a look on Alibaba and you could get 100 red/blue/green/whatever anodized dog tags for £40/£50 shipped.   Probably less with some more hunting/negotiating.  I only had a quick look.  Have them with a magnetic connector so you could just yank them off.

All in all, fantastic site and I'll definitely be back soon.

Oh, and bring a torch.  You'll definitely need it. 

 
I have now updated the original post with a full review of Erebor! 

Cheers for making this thread a bit of a beast gents! 

 
I’ve only really lurked this forum, but since this is where the review thread is: I played today and have nothing but praise for everyone involved. The site is spectacular, Seth and his team were flawlessly professional, and the games ran like clockwork.

It’s one of the best CQB sites I’ve ever played. The buildings are complex and closely-set with interesting angles, the lighting can be varied between more than just seared retinas or pitch black, and (unlike Blitz, which is the closest analogue I’ve played) it’s big enough not to feel like you’re trapped in a dollhouse. The inessential but really nice creature comforts - parking (right outside), a good site shop, hot water for tea/coffee, tables and chairs in the safe zone, a safe zone that isn’t a two-hour hike from the play zone, decent toilets - are all present and in brand-new condition, rather than the crumbling shitholes most CQB sites seem to be.


Thanks, the guys, Josh, Haydn, Ryan and Kiran, really made the day come together.

The lighting options will be increasing, but that's a surprise.

The marshalling - despite the rather insulting fear-mongering in this thread - was as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. The team were so thorough and reassuring that, even in the did-I-hit-that-person-why-isn’t-he-calling-it confusion inherent to playing CQB in low light, everyone seemed to get along just fine. Incredibly, I didn’t even hear any bitching in the safe zone.


I'll pass that on :)  

The number of players was well-judged (I think 20ish is optimal, 25 maximum before it starts getting crowded), and everyone seemed to be enthusiastically hurling themselves at the objectives rather than stacking up at choke points or chatting in the safe zone. Helping that were the game modes, which while not exactly revolutionary were more than just shooting everything that moved, and kept people in play almost all the time without making the games run until they’d outstayed their welcome.


Everyone seemed to be saying the same thing, with more doorways 25 will a good fit but for now, 20 is great. 

The only recommendations I’d make would be;

1. To try to improve the connectivity between the upper floors of some of the buildings, so players can circumvent the choke points which sometimes formed on one road corner. There wasn’t much of that (people were aggressively pushing all day, and the marshals acted quickly to rebalance areas that were in danger of stagnating), but why waste the potential of the intricate buildings?

2. To keep the number of players in check. One of the biggest pitfalls at Blitz was how insanely crowded it felt; Erebor ran perfectly with the ~22 players today. I’d much rather pay a bit more to play a good site than a bit less to share with too many other players.

I was extremely impressed, wholeheartedly recommend the site, and won’t hesitate to go back.


Working on that, got a few ideas that we're pitching.

Looking forward to having you back, thanks for coming yesterday!

 
20 hours ago, L3wisD said:

For any of the (many) AFUK ex-Mall players - I've realised that Josh and Haydn from The Mall are helping to run Erebor.

That alone is enough to peak my interest @Seth_Erebor, and you've done well to choose them. Top blokes, great marshals and wicked players. And if they have a small sprinkling of Mall Magic it'll be great!

I'll be looking to come down soon now  :)

It has to be said, the site looks incredible fun to play in:



lol, makes two of us.

 
Back
Top