AndyDynamic
Members
- Oct 27, 2017
- 111
- 7
This was mine and @Markuz first visit to FFZ, being big fans of UA and wanting to try some additional woodland games. Being about an hour away, it's very easy to get to from the A1 and set out of the way in rolling countryside.
Parking is ample, although I can see on busy days it could get tricky - there's a burger van for all your meaty needs, and a portaloo. They could also possibly do with a bigger sign on the gate
After an initial safety briefing, we load up and in a change to the normal process we are chrono'ed going into the site, rather than beforehand. So while this can be a bit time consuming it does mean everyone is checked. Form a queue!
The site itself is fantastic, it's mainly natural woodland with gullies, rises and the odd stream. There are some fortifications included such as raised platforms, sandbag bunkers, huts and so on. I think the best way to think of it would jungle warfare, ala Vietnam. Although one of the best platforms had to be excluded due to an angry wasps nest!
Unfortunately the player count was lower than normal, at I think around 50-60. With a bad weather forecast that probably put a lot of people off - we had a few spots of rain, nothing more. But this meant that the marshal's reacted to this and the games were shorter, maximum of 40 minutes, and kept in smaller areas so the action was flowing quickly. I thought the organisation of the games was excellent, and all of them were challenging in some form, either attacking a gun emplacement, or transporting rockets to a central point. There was a good placement of marshals, and I noted some marshals were playing within the teams, which is always a good way to monitor situations.
The day passed, as far as I could see, without incident and the playing was generally well done and I didn't see any cheating. I would note that I think the blue team should've been more aggressive, we think they had a few too many snipers and it's difficult to take a position when your main weapon can only be used 25 metres out. I'm sure that will all change in the winter when the foliage starts to die down.
All in, great site and we'll definitely be heading back.
Parking is ample, although I can see on busy days it could get tricky - there's a burger van for all your meaty needs, and a portaloo. They could also possibly do with a bigger sign on the gate
After an initial safety briefing, we load up and in a change to the normal process we are chrono'ed going into the site, rather than beforehand. So while this can be a bit time consuming it does mean everyone is checked. Form a queue!
The site itself is fantastic, it's mainly natural woodland with gullies, rises and the odd stream. There are some fortifications included such as raised platforms, sandbag bunkers, huts and so on. I think the best way to think of it would jungle warfare, ala Vietnam. Although one of the best platforms had to be excluded due to an angry wasps nest!
Unfortunately the player count was lower than normal, at I think around 50-60. With a bad weather forecast that probably put a lot of people off - we had a few spots of rain, nothing more. But this meant that the marshal's reacted to this and the games were shorter, maximum of 40 minutes, and kept in smaller areas so the action was flowing quickly. I thought the organisation of the games was excellent, and all of them were challenging in some form, either attacking a gun emplacement, or transporting rockets to a central point. There was a good placement of marshals, and I noted some marshals were playing within the teams, which is always a good way to monitor situations.
The day passed, as far as I could see, without incident and the playing was generally well done and I didn't see any cheating. I would note that I think the blue team should've been more aggressive, we think they had a few too many snipers and it's difficult to take a position when your main weapon can only be used 25 metres out. I'm sure that will all change in the winter when the foliage starts to die down.
All in, great site and we'll definitely be heading back.