BrightCandle
Members
- Apr 15, 2014
- 1,013
- 422
Date: 30th April 2014
I was only there for 2 hours as its such a long trek home I couldn't do the complete night. We started out with 3 teams in 3 different corners with 5 lives and a search and destroy the other teams mission. This really introduced me to the basic layout of the site and getting my first impression of the bunker. Its dark, really dark, like pitch black dark. There are lights scattered around and if you are in one the dark areas are impenetrably dark. If you are in the dark the light areas affect your night vision but they are few and far between. I used a torch most of the night which meant I got shot a lot because I gave away my position, but since I couldn't see otherwise it was the safe option. The guys that know the site well don't use lights at all, but they also pop out briefly in a corner, fire a shot to where the enemy could be and then disappear back in. Knowing the site is vital to the way this site is played and there is a set of skills to develop here to be effective.
The site was interesting although I didn't particularly enjoy the game as most of it I was walking around in near total darkness with not a lot of people around me and the occasional bounced sound of a couple of shots. The games weren't all that exciting nor tactical, you just had to push through fatal funnel after fatal funnel in pretty much all the games we played, and that is based on having 3 tunnels that are interconnected horizontally. There isn't much opportunity to flank and the defenders set themselves up in almost impossible positions to beat. It takes a lot of goes to push a defender off their position.
There were a few oddities with the site which are worth mentioning. The first is that it was not clear what team I was on! It seems the organiser and the players know their teams so well already that as a new guy you just sort of tack yourself onto one of the teams, although one of them definitely wasn't interested in the new guy so I ended up following the guy who I setup next to who seemed to know his way around. No idea if the teams were fair or not. The second oddity is that there was no chrono testing at the beginning of the game at all. There is a site limit of 328 fps like other CQB sites in London but they didn't test for it. In this game I ended up with the worst welt I have ever had on my little finger. It filled with blood and the skin was raised about 8mm from its normal position and I had bleeding internally to my hand to all joints in that finger. I couldn't move it until I drained the blood out of it. It only just recovered (over a month). My finger was actually fractured according to the GP. I don't know what that says about the power of the gun that shot me, but I have never had anything like that from other sites, I would not be surprised if that was a very hot gun for the ranges we were playing (sub 10m mostly). The darkness and the wet puddles and uneven floor that you can't see combined with no chronograph or checking of safety kit and the general inability to see in my mind makes this quite a dangerous site.
The two guys I shot that evening (its low on action most of the time) I didn't actually see either of them, I heard them and I fired a shot where I thought they must be, but its not that I was blind firing I just couldn't see anybody because they were in the dark. I also shot one friendly in the light, and because none of the teams have armbands or anything else its basically impossible to identify if someone is on your team and there was a lot of friendly fire in general on the night. Its all fueled but the incredible darkness that dominates this site, you can't see who you are shooting at and the regulars when you call "attacker" will say "yes attacker" and then shoot because they are actually a defender. I am not sure if that is the rules or what but I saw a lot of friendlies shooting each other and mostly we didn't know who was who and where the enemy actually was because it was impossible to communicate across the 3 tunnels.
So I am in two minds. On the one hand the two games I played (both an hour long which was cool) filled me with adrenaline because of the sneaky aspect of it (don't bring a hicap!!!) and there were some high moments of hunting people through the darkness and following noises and such that kept you on your toes, but it also meant I missed the end of the second game a bit as everyone got called back (presumably) but I didn't hear any calls and found myself alone on the site and wandered back. On the other hand I didn't feel safe the whole night nor did I fully understand the games, which team I was on etc. Its a bit of a weird site filled with regulars and it will take a while to penetrate the veil and level of unfriendliness I felt. Overall I wont be going back anytime soon, its too far to travel and the fact I ended up with a fractured finger is just indicative of the safety concerns I had on this site. But really the dark is the main enemy at Epsom Bunker and beating it is all about site knowledge and maybe night vision!
I was only there for 2 hours as its such a long trek home I couldn't do the complete night. We started out with 3 teams in 3 different corners with 5 lives and a search and destroy the other teams mission. This really introduced me to the basic layout of the site and getting my first impression of the bunker. Its dark, really dark, like pitch black dark. There are lights scattered around and if you are in one the dark areas are impenetrably dark. If you are in the dark the light areas affect your night vision but they are few and far between. I used a torch most of the night which meant I got shot a lot because I gave away my position, but since I couldn't see otherwise it was the safe option. The guys that know the site well don't use lights at all, but they also pop out briefly in a corner, fire a shot to where the enemy could be and then disappear back in. Knowing the site is vital to the way this site is played and there is a set of skills to develop here to be effective.
The site was interesting although I didn't particularly enjoy the game as most of it I was walking around in near total darkness with not a lot of people around me and the occasional bounced sound of a couple of shots. The games weren't all that exciting nor tactical, you just had to push through fatal funnel after fatal funnel in pretty much all the games we played, and that is based on having 3 tunnels that are interconnected horizontally. There isn't much opportunity to flank and the defenders set themselves up in almost impossible positions to beat. It takes a lot of goes to push a defender off their position.
There were a few oddities with the site which are worth mentioning. The first is that it was not clear what team I was on! It seems the organiser and the players know their teams so well already that as a new guy you just sort of tack yourself onto one of the teams, although one of them definitely wasn't interested in the new guy so I ended up following the guy who I setup next to who seemed to know his way around. No idea if the teams were fair or not. The second oddity is that there was no chrono testing at the beginning of the game at all. There is a site limit of 328 fps like other CQB sites in London but they didn't test for it. In this game I ended up with the worst welt I have ever had on my little finger. It filled with blood and the skin was raised about 8mm from its normal position and I had bleeding internally to my hand to all joints in that finger. I couldn't move it until I drained the blood out of it. It only just recovered (over a month). My finger was actually fractured according to the GP. I don't know what that says about the power of the gun that shot me, but I have never had anything like that from other sites, I would not be surprised if that was a very hot gun for the ranges we were playing (sub 10m mostly). The darkness and the wet puddles and uneven floor that you can't see combined with no chronograph or checking of safety kit and the general inability to see in my mind makes this quite a dangerous site.
The two guys I shot that evening (its low on action most of the time) I didn't actually see either of them, I heard them and I fired a shot where I thought they must be, but its not that I was blind firing I just couldn't see anybody because they were in the dark. I also shot one friendly in the light, and because none of the teams have armbands or anything else its basically impossible to identify if someone is on your team and there was a lot of friendly fire in general on the night. Its all fueled but the incredible darkness that dominates this site, you can't see who you are shooting at and the regulars when you call "attacker" will say "yes attacker" and then shoot because they are actually a defender. I am not sure if that is the rules or what but I saw a lot of friendlies shooting each other and mostly we didn't know who was who and where the enemy actually was because it was impossible to communicate across the 3 tunnels.
So I am in two minds. On the one hand the two games I played (both an hour long which was cool) filled me with adrenaline because of the sneaky aspect of it (don't bring a hicap!!!) and there were some high moments of hunting people through the darkness and following noises and such that kept you on your toes, but it also meant I missed the end of the second game a bit as everyone got called back (presumably) but I didn't hear any calls and found myself alone on the site and wandered back. On the other hand I didn't feel safe the whole night nor did I fully understand the games, which team I was on etc. Its a bit of a weird site filled with regulars and it will take a while to penetrate the veil and level of unfriendliness I felt. Overall I wont be going back anytime soon, its too far to travel and the fact I ended up with a fractured finger is just indicative of the safety concerns I had on this site. But really the dark is the main enemy at Epsom Bunker and beating it is all about site knowledge and maybe night vision!